Dr Leontios Kostrikkis, of the Government’s Advisory Body on the pandemic, said during a press conference that four patients came to Cyprus from European countries, eight are citizens who came in touch with confirmed cases and were traced following the protocol, one is a person who works at the Paphos General Hospital and one is a case whose history is being examined. In the occupied areas nine new cases were announced on Wednesday bringing the total to 56.
The Cyprus Republic has so far a total of 146 confirmed cases, 76 of which are through contacts.
Dr Kostrikkis said that many of the patients have totally recovered and he called on all citizens to follow the instructions given by the authorities and stay home. He said that we can handle the situation but we need to give time to the health system and the health workers so they can deal with the crisis.
Dr Marios Loizou, Scientific Director at the Nicosia Directorate of the State Health Services Organization said that according to all the data gathered by 1500 local time, one confirmed case is being treated at the Makario Hospital for precautionary reasons and the patient’s condition is generally good.
He said that 13 people are hospitalized at the Famagusta General Hospital and another two are in the ICU.
Six people are intubated, two of them are at the ICU in Limassol General Hospital and 4 at the Nicosia General Hospital.
The intubated patients’ condition is critical but stable.
As regards a new case at the Nicosia Hospital, Dr Loizou said that the aim is to treat all cases that arrive at the public hospitals, adding that all cases described as not urgent, are sent to the private sector, following the agreement between the Ministry and the Cyprus Association of Private Hospitals.
He added that given the fact that the cases are increasing, especially those of unknown origin, there is a possibility that urgent cases related to a road accident or a cardiac arrest, are also positive to covid19 and this cannot be traced from the medical history.
Dr Loizou pointed out that nobody’s life can be put in danger just because there is a suspicion that he or she is a confirmed or suspected case.
He called on everyone to be extra cautious in order to avoid phenomena related to social racism, underlining that this is a bet we need to win by showing social responsibility.